Friday, March 11, 2011

My favourite covering letter

As a journalist one must be tenacious and apply to anything and everything. In my pursuit of journalistic glory I have written a covering letter or two in my time but here is the one I enjoyed writing the most. It was an internship for a television and films listing website which I applied to last year. Needless to say I didn't get the placement but the key is to keep at it.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am applying for an internship with your website and attach my CV and some of my work for your perusal and consideration.

The application called for individuals who “idolise Charlie Brooker to a level of God-smiteable proportions.” I fall into this category. My commitment to Charlie’s columns, articles and TV shows has formed the most significant and meaningful relationship I have ever had.

My need for a daily dose of Brooker is comparable to a coke addict. Be it an episode of ‘Screenwipe’ or ‘You Have Been Watching’, or a ‘Screen Burn’, I can’t get through the day without a little bit of Charlie.

Apart from being a Brookerite, I have the relevant skills and experience for this role. I was part of the editorial team at LondonCareers.Net, a weekly magazine published by the Independent. My responsibilities included writing film and album reviews as well as sub-editing, laying out and proofreading pages.

While I was studying for my undergraduate degree I was Deputy Film Editor and Film Editor, respectively for the student newspaper, inQuire. In these positions I brainstormed feature ideas, wrote and edited articles, liaised with PR companies for film screenings and DVDs. More recently, I was a film reviewer for www.6degreesfilm.com which involved attending screenings and writing features.

Despite my dalliances into financial journalism my passion will always be in film and television journalism. I am available from 1st August – 30th September.

Examples of work:

Review for ‘500 Days of Summer’
Review for ‘Superhero Movie’
Film festival feature
Blog post on ‘Secret Diary of a Call Girl’ – Series 3

Thank you for your attention.

Yours faithfully

N. Debnath
Neelanjona Debnath

Enclo. CV

No comments:

Post a Comment