Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fundraising can improve your life and career prospects

A piece I wrote as part of coursework earlier this year. It's written in the style of 'Take A Break' magazine. Unfortunately, they decided they didn't want to publish it. Maybe next time.

There are hundreds of people across the country who go that extra mile for charity. You probably know some who’s training for a sponsored run, bike ride or walk. It might be a friend, a colleague, your sister or even your mum. They are ordinary folk who really want to make a difference and their small contributions make a big difference to others. But did you know that fundraising can also be good for your career and general wellbeing?

Managing Director of recruitment consultants Office Angels, David Clubb, says: ‘Being involved in fundraising is a great way of raising your awareness of social responsibility – something which many businesses take very seriously.’

‘It’s important to remember that being involved in fundraising work goes much further than standing outside shops with a coin collector. Being involved in fundraising work is often a real eye-opener for many people.’

‘For those currently between jobs fundraising work is great way to gain experience in a number of sectors and job roles. It also shows future employers that you are proactive and keen to be working and assisting others.’

Fundraising can not only boost your career prospects, it can also be a source of personal growth. Life Coach Carole Ann Rice has worked with individuals from all walks of life and says: ‘Helping other people either through fundraising or working in a voluntary capacity removes you from your problems and your world. It’s almost like a natural Prozac to help other people.’

‘At least if you’re doing something like raising money for a good cause you feel you have achieved something and I think there’s a great deal of personal satisfaction and confidence and self-esteem that can be raised through that sense of achievement on behalf of other people.’

She adds: ‘I think it certainly ups your chances of having a sense of focus, satisfaction and fulfilment in your life.’

Daniel Barnes, 31, of Brockley, Southeast London is running 500 miles this year for Josie’s Dragonfly. The charity gives cash donations to children with cancer not considered curable. Josie Madeline Grove was Daniel’s cousin who died from leukaemia in 2007. Daniel has just broken the 100 mile mark and is still going.

‘Last year I lost my job and spent a month or so sitting around the house feeling glum and eating cakes.’

‘Over Christmas, the idea of running 500 miles over the year came to me as a way of motivating me to get out. I am not very athletic, so I thought I would try something difficult. The other side is that it is a good excuse to raise money for a good cause.’

‘Running 500 miles was on my CV and I was asked and talked about it in a couple of interviews.’

‘I think it did add something unique to the CV, which probably helped a little.
For all the interviews I had, I always checked where I might run, or if I could run home.’

‘Knowing I have done this for charity is a bonus. I try to act nonchalant about it, that I was running anyway so it made sense to just raise money too, but in fact it does make me proud that I can make a difference. Maybe I'll aim for 1000 km in 2011.’

Lindsay Topham, 24, from Twickenham, Southwest London, is another fundraising superhero. She is gearing up for the London Marathon in April to raise money for Oxfam.

Lindsay says: ‘They’re just a charity that I really believe in and believe in the work that they do. I find them quite effective as a charity. I was really keen to run the London Marathon anyway so when Oxfam had some places it felt like it was the right thing to do.’

‘I wrote to Oxfam and said I would really like to do a charity place and they rung me and asked a few questions and then gave me a place.’

‘I think it’s important to push yourself and challenge yourself. It’s the nerves and having to promote yourself. And it’s all about personal growth.’

‘You sign up to something like the marathon because it’s only you that can get through it. You are the only competition.’

She adds: ‘It’s a real sense of achievement to know that you’ve put your body through all that and it’s not just that one day, it’s the nine months leading up to it. I’m looking forward to the whole day: the excitement, the getting there.’

“I think in a year or so after running the marathon I would like to climb Mount Kilimanjaro or some sort of mountain.”
JustGiving is a website which helps people who want raise money for charity. More information can be found at: www.justgiving.com

No comments:

Post a Comment