Thursday, May 13, 2010

Matt Lucas and the ethical dilemma

As an aspiring journalist I am learning to manoeuvre through the minefield that can be interviews.

One should never let their emotions or personal feelings get in the way of an interview.

Although Adam Boulton showed that this is not always possible earlier this week in his live cat fight with Alistair Campbell.

As part of a piece that was rejected by my local paper I recently interviewed Matt Lucas of ‘Little Britain’ fame.

The interview was minimal to the story which was about a charity fundraiser organised by two community-based charities near me.

Matt was hosting the event and I wanted to get a couple of quotes about the evening.

Before the event I had mentioned to a lecturer that I was trying to interview Matt. It was suggested that I should try to find out his thoughts about the loss of his ex-husband, Kevin McGee back in October last year.

If I did so, I might have an exclusive on my hands that could set me on the path to tabloid stardom and beyond.

But when it came down to it would I be able to summon up a Paxman-like aura?

On the evening I flagged Matt down. He told me to “walk with him” in ‘West Wing’ style as he nipped out during the interval for a moment’s respite.

I followed him eagerly: unwittingly looking more puppy dog than news hound. I wasn’t fazed by the fame I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a thing.

I asked him the typical questions: Why he had decided to take part? How he was finding the evening? How long he had been involved with the charity?

Despite keeping my dictaphone steady, at the forefront of my mind was the encyclopaedic knowledge of his personal life.

Most of us retain our right to grieve in private but here was someone who had very publicly lost his partner.

It’s funny how the paparazzi descend like flies at the first scent of a dead body. Yet when my moment came to rip off the mourning veil, I just couldn’t do it.

He was calm and softly spoken: a complete contrast to the loud, rude, energetic personas of George Doors or Vicky Pollard.

Our interview was over in a matter of minutes and I left. I would never have asked him about how he felt. Yet there was a part of me, the human instinct that sought to comfort him.

In the end I managed to muster a “take care”, trying to exert my sympathy through pursed lips which I forced into a smile and lingering eye contact. I wonder if my expression translated.

I suppose this was my lesson in impartiality.

No comments:

Post a Comment